Dog & Cat Wellness Exams & Vaccinations at our Vet Clinic- Petaluma Veterinary Hospital
The best, easiest and least expensive thing you can do to keep your pet healthy is to schedule a wellness exam at our pet clinic - a nose to tail checkup- every year (twice yearly for pets over age 8). Dogs and cats age far faster than people, so significant changes in your pet's health can happen in a short time.
Wellness exams allow our veterinarians to diagnose diseases and conditions early, when they're easier to treat. Often, we can help prevent diseases entirely just by ensuring that your pet get the appropriate vaccinations and preventives. For healthy adult dogs and cats we recommend one visit per year. Puppies, kittens, senior pets, and pets with health issues or illnesses need more frequent checkups.
Our veterinarians will work with you to create an individualized wellness program, including a vaccination and prevention protocol specifically for your pet. Services offered include:
- Physical Exams
- Dental Care
- Nutrition Consultation
- Heartworm, Flea and other Parasite Control
- Lab Testing
- In-house Pharmacy
- Prescription Diets (Hills and Royal Canin)
- And more!
Call us today to schedule your pet's wellness exam.
When to vaccinate?
Puppies and kittens are usually protected from infectious diseases by their mother’s milk provided she has been adequately vaccinated. However this protection only lasts for a short while.
- Puppies should be vaccinated at 8 and 10 weeks.
- Kittens should be vaccinated at 9 and 12 weeks.
- Boosters should be given 12 months after the date of the first vaccinations.
- If you have an older pet your veterinarian will recommend the correct vaccination protocol that you should follow.
DogsDogs should be routinely vaccinated against:
- Canine distemper
- Canine parvovirus
- Infectious canine hepatitis
CatsCats should be routinely vaccinated against:
- Feline calicivirus
- Feline herpes virus
- Feline infectious enteritis
- Feline leukemia virus
If you are unsure about vaccines, talk to one of our veterinarians for advise on the best vaccination protocol to follow for your specific pet.